We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
While France has long been champion of European repetition, it has become almost exceptional since the start of 2015 and the law of Refoundation of the school. Here are the main reasons that motivated this choice.
1. Unprecedented efficiency and high cost
- In FranceRepetition was a well-established practice. At age 15, 38% of French students had repeated at least once. In Finland, Sweden or the United Kingdom, less than 5% of students repeat ... But the French do not have better school results than their neighbors.
- Repetition also costs almost $ 2 billion a year.
2. Repetition in CP: children progress less
In 2014, Thierry Troncin, doctor of education sciences at the IUFM of Burgundy compared a hundred pupils who repeated their CP to one hundred students of the same grade level, but who had been admitted in CE1.
- First observation? Those who were dropped into EC1, despite their low level, had maintained their achievements during the summer holidays. The "repeaters" have lost some of their achievements.
- Second observation? One year later, in nine out of ten cases, those who had gone on to CE1 had far more progress than repeaters.
3. Psychologically painful repetition
- "The others are advancing and I'm doing it on the spot"Think the child who doubles. At a time when the CP school pressure is strong, and necessarily felt by children, repetition is a blow to self-esteem. It sends the child back to a feeling of bitter failure, coupled with the feeling of not being able to satisfy the expectations of his parents. What really feels "zero", and be tempted to give up and resign itself to this status of bad student.
4. A child risks being labeled repeating throughout his schooling
- At school, the others' gaze on the child changes as well. That of other students of course (children are often not tender between them) and that of teachers too. For others, the repeater is often "one who does not understand well who is slow ...". The child who redoubles obviously lives this as an aggression, to which he can respond either by being completely inhibited, or by building a character in the register of bravado and provocation.
5. Specific support is preferable
- The problem of repetition is that it offers students to repeat the identical school year. A child who has had difficulties, above all, needs certain notions to be approached differently or at greater length to be well assimilated. Without repeating those he has already acquired. It is therefore better to ask the teacher of his child a reading program, calculation, personal work to do during the holidays for example.
In which case is repetition granted today?
It is granted under two conditions: if the student's family requests this repetition and provided that it justifies this request (health problems that caused a break in learning, moving ...).